Korea University School of Media & Commuication Graduate School of Journalism & Mass Communication

  • Sitemap
  • 한국어



Q: Is there any scholarship that I can get?

A: Of course! There are a number of scholarship opportunities you can get. 


Currently enrolled international students may benefit from the following scholarships:

1) Academic Excellence Scholarship (covers 100% of tuition fee)

- Students who have achieved an outstanding GPA will be automatically considered for the scholarship (no application is required)

2) Academic Improvement Scholarship (covers 50% of tuition fee)

- Students with significantly improved GPA when compared the two previous semesters can apply for the scholarship.

- Students who wish to receive the scholarship must fill in the application form.

The detailed notice would be posted on Announcements and Portal(KUPID) in January for spring semester and in July for fall semester.

3) Bright Future Scholarship (covers 50% of tuition fee)

- Students who are financially disadvantaged can apply for the scholarship.

- Supporting documents such as explanatory statement, recommendation letter from professor, parents’ income/tax payment statement are required including the application form.

- The detailed notice would be posted on Announcements and Portal(KUPID) in January for spring semester and in July for fall semester.




GRADUATE SCHOOL ->  https://mediacom.korea.edu/mediacom_en/gene_grad/grad_scholarship.do#none



Q: How many credits should I take for graduation?
A: Yes, if you are undergraduate student, you need 130 credits or more.
     If you are in master's course, you need 32 credits.

• Total Credits Required: 130 credits or more

① Cultivation Courses

② Major Courses

③ General Selectives 

④ Thesis: Substituting with fulfilling credits required for graduation

⑤ Etc.: Fulfill internal rules

Graduate school


• Total Credits Required: 32 credits or more 


1) General course credit(교과학점): 24 credits (usually 3 credits per course)

- You need to take at least 1 course from another department with your adviser’s permission.

- After taking the course from another department, you need to submit ‘Certificate of Major Accreditation(전

공인정확인서)’ to the department office with your adviser’s signature on it.

2) Guidance of Research credit(연구지도학점): 8 credits (2 credits per course X 4 semesters)

- Guidance of Research is automatically enrolled in every semester.

-> So, the total required credits are at least 32 credits including general course credit and Guidance of

Research credit.

Q: Is there any mandatory courses that I should take?

A: Yes, there are. These are compulsary courses that you should take.

• Compulsory major: Need 6 credits in total 


You can choose from
JMCO 203 Introduction to Media, JMCO247 Creative Media Design & Expression, JMCO 248 Introduction to Media Data Science



Graduate school

• Compulsory major: Need 6 credits in total 

MAC 501 Communication Theory, MAC502 Communication Research Methodology (MAC503)


※ These two courses are only available at every FIRST semester of the year (SPRING semester).

※ These two courses are mandatory for the “Comprehensive Examination(종합시험)”.


※ As you should take the comprehensive exam at your 3rd or 4th semester before submitting thesis,

you SHOULD TAKE these courses at your 1st semester(those who enter in spring) or 2nd semester(those who enter in autumn).






Course Info ->  https://mediacom.korea.edu/mediacom_en/under/curri_require.do

Graduation requirements ->  https://mediacom.korea.edu/mediacom_en/under/curri_info.do



Course Info -> https://mediacom.korea.edu/mediacom_en/gene_grad/curriculum_course.do

Graduation requirements ->  https://mediacom.korea.edu/mediacom_en/gene_grad/internalregulations.do



Q: For a master degree, what are some qualifications for thesis submision? 

A: You should prepare TOPIK (over level 4) and pass comprehensive examination(종합시험)


1. Accredited language proficiency test.

- TOPIK(Test of Proficiency in Korean, 한국어능력시험) -> Level 4 or higher.


2. The comprehensive examination(종합시험). ☆☆☆

- You need to take at least 4 courses (12 credits) including 2 mandatory courses to take the exam, and your GPA

should be higher than 3.0.


- There are 4 exam subjects that you should take and pass.

① Common subjects (Mandatory courses): 2 courses.

- Communication Theory

- Communication Research Methodology

② Elective subjects: 2 courses.

- You can take the test by selecting two of the major subjects that you completed before the test. So, there would be 4 subjects from 2 mandatory courses and 2 elective courses.






Extra-curricular activities

Q: Is there any communities or mentoring program for international students?

A: In our university, there are a lot of programs for foreign students.
    There are programs such as: 



KUISA, also known as Korea University International Student Assistants, is a voluntary student organization under Global Services Center.


Since its foundation in 2013, KUISA has been successfully assisting and helping international students to adjust well to Korea University as well as Korea.

KUISA aims to guide in university life and make friends with KU students who came from all walks of life and different cultural backgrounds.


2) Free Korean Classes

Free Korean Language class is held to facilitate students to get more involved and get used to Korean language including vocabulary, grammar and daily conversation.


It would be a great opportunity to learn more about Korea, become accustomed to Korean culture and make more international friends on campus. It is an intensive 4-week course and classes will be held from Monday to Thursday every week.


3) Language Exchange

Global Services Center is offering language exchange program during the semester for students who wish to boost their Korean language as well as teach local students their languages and culture.

A language exchange involves two speakers of different languages who practice these languages together. For example, a student who is fluent in Chinese may want to practice her Korean. She will then be paired with KU local student who also wants to practice Chinese. In this way, both students learn and assist. Language exchange partners have the independence to structure their meetings according to their needs. This is a one-on-one program where the center matches students based on their study plan and language preferences. Please be advised that this is a voluntary program.